Friday, March 15, 2013

Ice Cream, Music and Sunshine Turned My Week Around


If all else fails . . . there's always ice cream! ~ thequirkyconfessions.com
Confession: the past few days had me down and out. I was honestly starting to feel like a worn out hermit trying to entertain my sick kids indoors. Just as Lanie started to feel better, Charlotte got sick. In between their sicknesses we had a day that I thought everyone was feeling good and up to going out. I had been craving The Outback for as long as I can remember and a new one just opened up close by. Dan and I packed up the kids and decided to go. They like to go out, and often times dinner out is a nice treat for all of us. It was a long wait, especially for that 4:30-5pm time slot where you usually find parents, small kids and senior citizens taking advantages of the early bird specials. The food was average and my kids were not exactly acting like role model toddlers while we were there. 

While waiting to be seated a man tried to interact with Charlotte by smiling and waving. She glared at him. Actually, she gave him full blown dirty looks. (The dirty looks that I often see these days because she is more of a "Daddy's Girl" at the moment.) While Charlotte sat on Dan's lap giving the majority of the crowd the evil eye, I spent the 1/2 hr. wait trying my best to distract Lanie. She was trying to pour the complimentary pitcher of water into the glasses the entire time. We finally got seated in a large booth and it seemed perfect until we realized it had a large metal pole supporting the end of the over-sized table. Charlotte decided to use the pole as a base to push her high chair as far away from the table as possible. Dan and I had to place our feet on either side of the highchair to prevent her from causing a disaster in the middle of the busy restaurant. While all of this was going on Lanie was sitting next to me. I spent most of my time encouraging her to color on her place mat and not on the table, or telling her to keep her unwanted semi-chewed food  on her plate and not on mine. Needless to say, this was not exactly the dining experience I was hoping for.
Attention Seeker ~ thequirkyconfessions.com

The next few days seemed to go in the same direction . . . stressful. Charlotte woke up one morning with a bloody nose. Her crib looked like a murder scene and her face was covered in blood. Cleaning her up was not an easy task. She hates having her nose wiped in general so me coming at her with a full box of tissues was pretty traumatizing for both of us. Of course Lanie woke up in the midst of all the screaming. I felt like I was running around in 12 different directions trying to make everyone happy. All I wanted to do was stop Charlotte's nose from bleeding, get her favorite blanket and lovies in the wash ready for nap time and give her a bath. A difficult task as I needed to calm Lanie down over the site of all the blood. She was frantically yelling at the top of her lungs that the blood was making her sick and she was going to throw up. She went as far as pretending to dry heave, I quickly realized she was faking. Attention seeking at it's finest! Thankfully a quick hug solved that problem and the threat of getting sick stopped. 

The girls are getting pretty good at competing for attention these days. They both seem to be going through a phase right now. Lanie prefers my help with things and Charlotte prefers Dan. Lanie will often insist that I take her to the potty, brush her teeth, hold her hand, lift her up to the table, or put her in her car seat while Charlotte pretty much prefers Dan, exclusively . . . for everything. The other morning I heard Charlotte get up and start yelling from her crib. "DA DA, DA DA, DA DA". I went to her door and opened it. It was still dark so she couldn't see who it was, but she was excited that someone was there to scoop her up so she could start her day. As soon as I turned on the light and she saw me standing there she started yelling "NO NO NO" and threw herself down into her pile of blankets. Pure drama. I must say I actually found it pretty funny and it doesn't bother me. Lanie did the same thing at Charlotte's age. 

Pure Drama ~ thequirkyconfessions.com
I am guessing that Charlotte was in her glory to have Dan home with her all day Monday while I went to a Dr.'s appointment and then spent the night cleaning an office building. Honestly, a trip to the Dr.'s and cleaning toilets seemed like a mini vacation. At my Dr.'s appointment the question of having more kids came up. Definitely the wrong week for that question! My quick response to her was "No, I'm too old." At that very moment I felt stressed, tired and far older than my 36 years. She laughed and assured me that if, in a couple years time, I changed my mind she did not think I was "too old". . . We'll see.

It's amazing what a little sunshine can do for the spirit. Today we were able to get out and enjoy the sunny day! It was so good to have everyone feeling better. We argued over which songs to listen to in the car. We have an agreement, I can't listen to Pink Floyd because Lanie doesn't like it and Lanie can't listen to Nicki Minaj because I think she looks like Mrs. Potato Head and I don't like her. Charlotte is pretty agreeable to whatever is on and will often sing and dance from her car seat to anything. She's got some killer dance moves even when she's confined. Her latest favorite is a song called "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Charlotte has a stellar dance routine to this song and has truly mastered the art of head bobbing. She was overjoyed when it came on in the car. We had fun, we laughed and enjoyed our morning out. 

I'm well aware that everyday is not going to be puppies and rainbows, but I'm certainly appreciative of the ones that are. And for the ones that aren't . . . there's always ice cream. (A special thanks to my husband who sensed it may be a good week to get me a sundae.)


Vote for Us! TopMommyBlogs.comIf you've enjoyed my blog
please take a second to vote for us.

<< Just click this icon to register your vote! You can
            vote once every 24 hours too! THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment